It’s over… plastic!
There’s little doubt that plastic packaging, bottles, bags etc. make our everyday life more comfortable and easier. Too often, however, the downsides of our excessive plastic consumption are forgotten in the rush to buy.
Plastic is everywhere…in our food, water, and of course, environment, and for many reasons it’s here to stay. It takes some plastic up to 500 years or more to break down and the plastic waste in our oceans is already one of the biggest environmental problems of our time. Plastic not only pollutes habitats, kills numerous water birds, mammals and fish, but it has also been shown to have effects on the health of different organisms – maybe our own! In other words, it’s high time to do something!
Together with experts, we take a look at the consequences of global plastic consumption, which alternatives exist, in which cases the use of plastic makes sense and how one can reduce one’s own consumption. However, in the Action Leader Training, we do not only talk about those issues, but also go one step further and develop strategies and projects to the topic of plastics that will encourage people to change their behavior.
The ten-month training is aimed at young people between the ages of 15 and 25 who want to become active for the environment. It is very important to us to provide the entire training using the “bottom-up” approach. The program is developed together with the participants and tailored specifically to their interests and needs.
Set your idea in motion!
During the training, you’ll not only gather knowledge, skills and motivation, but also be asked to turn a dream into reality (regardless, of how big or small it might be). Generation Earth offers you a place, and supportive people, where you can not only gather needed experience, but also make a difference, now and in the future!
What can I expect from the training?
- To gain valuable new skills, knowledge and experience as well as develop as an individual: In five multi-day training weekends, you’ll experience inspiring discussions, presentations, workshops, excursions, activities and more. What’s unique about our training program, is that you’re not just the trainee, but at times the trainer (or at least an organizer), and together with other participants and WWF staff, you’ll organize one of the trainings for your peers. The contents of the trainings will come out of the needs of the group, but should focus on three themes:
- project management,
- leadership skills, and
- the annual topic – which for 2018/2019 is plastic.
- To get active! During and between the trainings, you and a team of friends and participants will have the chance to plan and implement an action project of your choosing that fits to the theme of the year. This allows you to be part of the change – that you want to see in the world. Of course, you won’t be alone, as experienced Generation Earth members, WWF staff, and other experts from the environmental, economic, social fields are available to provide tips and tricks along your journey.
- To get outside: We don’t just talk about the environment and nature, we get out into it! It’s important that if we want to protect something that we have a connection to it. Therefore, we try to spend as much time outdoors as indoors!
- To connect with youth from Austria and the world: For many members, Generation Earth is like a second family. Countless, deep friendships have formed and continue long after the “training is over”. In fact, many of our alumni (graduates) come back as peer trainers, organize additional projects, and support the group in numerous ways. Not only that, but as part of WWF, you join a global network of activists and have the opportunity to connect digitally or in person with youth from around the world.
- Kick-off group 1: September 26-30, 2018
- Kick-off group 2: October 3-7, 2018
The dates and location for the four following trainings will be decided at the kick-off meeting by the group.
- Kick-off group 1: LebensGut Miteinander / Rohrbach an der Gölsen
- Kick-off group 2: to be announced
Each training takes place at a unique location in Austria that connects to the topic(s) of the weekend. One important criteria also for the locations is that there is easy access with public transportation and that one can easily access the outdoors.
45 Euro per training (225 Euro in total*)
This fee covers a portion of the accommodation, board and activities of the training program. WWF covers the remaining amount of the costs. The participant fee can be paid in full or in 2 payments (at the beginning and middle).
(*We want to be sure that money does not stand in your way of participating in the training. If for any reason, the fee is a problem for you, we ask that you please contact Nathan Spees. We’ll do our best to find a solution that works for you.)
Some of the training dates also fall on school days. However, as this is a further education event, you can apply for school exemption. We will gladly provide you with the necessary letter.
Goal of the program
Our aim is to support, train and develop an international network of motivated and engaged youth who are capable of taking action into their own hands and develop and implement projects on their own – in their backyards, regions, and beyond!
Our long-term vision is a society of active citizens, where young people who have participated in our training are playing an important and influential role in politics, education, business, etc. and are carrying the motivation and positive experiences of their time with Generation Earth with them throughout their lifetime.
- Causes and consequences of the global plastic consumption
- Solution approaches and reduction of plastic in everyday life
- Leadership and skills for green jobs
- Project planning and management
- Personal development and life skills
The official deadline for applications expired and the kick-off meetings for both groups already took place. However, we still have free spots in group 2.
The next training dates are:
- 2. Training: 06.-09.12.2018
- 3. Training: 31.01.-03.02.2019
- 4. Training: 28.-31.03.2019
- 5. Training: 07.-10.06.2019
If you have are free on those weekends and want to join the Action Leader Training please fill in this form:
Find more information about data protection here: www.generationearth.at/en/legal-notice.